Welcome to the 4th Quarter of the 2022 – 2023 School Year.
As we start our fourth, and final, quarter of the school year, we know that we still have 25% of our school year remaining, and that there is still more teaching and learning that will take place here at the International School of Ouagadougou.
To that end, we do have two programming notes to pass along, and share with you, to make sure we are all on the right track as we begin the last quarter of our school year:
#1. Welcome Back ISO Stallions!! After a successful performance in the West African International Schools Activities League (WAISAL) tournament held this past weekend, our team finished fourth overall with a 2-2-1 record. The High School Stallions played with intensity and put forth an effort we can all be proud of!! ISO Senior Paarth Pathak was named to the All-Tournament Team!!! Thanks to Mr. Horton, Mr. Some and all of the student athletes and parents for making this a successful return to the WAISAL sports league. Find a little video about their participation here.
#2. This Friday is scheduled to be a half-day for all students 07:45 – 12:00. The goal is to allow time for our Parent-Teachers Conferences. The conference is scheduled to be held from 13:00 – 18:00 on Friday, April 21, 2023. You are encouraged to sign up using the link that was sent out by email.
Please note, in the event that Ramadan ends on Thursday evening, as determined by the sighting of the new crescent moon, this Friday will become the Eid national holiday and this event will be rescheduled to another afternoon. We thank you for your patience, understanding, and flexibility.
Information on the Parent Teacher Conferences are below.
The Short Version:
This Friday we are hoping to host Parent-Teacher-Conferences from 1:00pm-6:00pm. Appointments can be made via the link that was sent out.
Elementary homeroom conferences last 20 minutes and will take place in the classrooms, while conferences with specialists and Upper School teachers last 10 minutes and will take place in the auditorium.
Due to conferences, Friday, April 21st, is a half-day of learning; therefore:
- All students must be picked up at 12:00pm
- After school activities are cancelled
The Long Version for our new parents, or avid readers:
Student Parent Teacher Conferences
RE: ISO PARENTS
Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences hopefully will be held this Friday, April 21st, from 13:00 – 18:00hrs. On that afternoon, you will have the opportunity to meet the entire International School of Ouagadougou Teaching Team.
Our Elementary homeroom teachers will host individual meetings with your students to ensure that they achieve measurable student progress here at ISO!
Please review and be prepared for a productive meeting, as this is the time “when students, parents, and teachers celebrate learning.”
Student Parent Teacher Conferences
April 21st, 2023* (Fingers Crossed!)
“The time when students, parents, and teachers celebrate learning”
TIPS FOR PARENTS
THE CONFERENCES ALLOW STUDENTS, PARENTS AND TEACHERS, TO:
- Reflect, report and compare the different factors, in different classes, that have an effect on the students’ learning.
- Reflect on the effectiveness of the students, as active learners, with the goal of improving future performance.
- Discuss how students are evaluated.
The Teacher’s Role in the “Learning” Conference
- Help students set goals for the following quarter.
- Provide guidance and encouragement.
- Let parents know that there will be other opportunities to meet with the teacher if they need to talk about any specific concerns.
The Student’s Role in the Learning Conference
- Set goals for the final quarter, with both the teacher and parent’s help.
- Reflect on their overall work.
The Parents’ Role in the Conference
- Before conferences, ask the children about their performance and areas for improvement.
- Bring the children to the conferences.
- Ask questions, encourage, and praise the child’s work and effort.
- Assist the teacher in maintaining the time limit and schedule a new meeting if you have to discuss specific issues.
- Talk about the conference with their child before and after the conference
POST CONFERENCE PARENT REFLECTIONS:
Below are some ideas for discussion:
“I felt proud because…” – “Keep up the good work on…” – “I find it interesting that…” – “I know that sometimes you have difficulty with…- but…-” – “Why do you…?” – “I am glad to see that you are taking an active role in your education by…” – “I am glad to see that you are making an extra effort in…” – “Now you are more…” – “How can I help you to…?” – “Some ways I can help you are…” – “What if we…?” – “Let’s….” – “I enjoyed your conference because…” – “Next time you may want to…”
Your children will love to hear your reactions to the conferences and they will be more motivated.
Thank you for your support! and for a smooth start to a uniquely challenging year, as we work together to create a solid (and safe) school ecosystem for our students.
Have a good day.